Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Dashing

Rian's father's mother had a stroke whilst we were in Santa Barbara. It was not a surprise, truly, as she is 95 and Very Frail. Rian's father did not learn about it until she was already in the Scripps ER, which is not a Good Thing, as he is her caretaker...but that is another story.

So. As a result of her stroke her words are scrambled. For instance, she says 'eggs' when she means to say 'bed' or 'Los Angeles' when she means to say hearing aide. And she occasionally sees things that are not there. And she does not recognize her family members. She thinks Rian's father is a very nice man who kindly keeps visiting.

Rian's father's mother is perhaps the Most Stubborn Woman in the world. She is also a Christian Scientist...is that the correct denomination? She does not believe that doctors and hospitals are at all useful. At all. In fact, she despises them gently.

She keeps trying to escape the convalescence home. Meaning, she keeps trying to climb over the rails of her bed and then she falls onto the floor. She has not made it farther than that. And they have to belt her into the wheel chair to keep her from 'dashing'.

Rian should not find this amusing, but Rian does, in the sick way one can only find family amusing.

When Rian becomes unSound of Mind, please take me out to the desert and shoot me. Drop me into a big hole, as they did MMPHL on MMMPHL.

8 Comments:

Blogger biped said...

I'll drop you in a hole anytime.

It sounds as if she does not suffer too badly, or at least I hope she doesn't. My landlasy has pointed out to me that one changes one's mind as what constitutes losing one's marbles or quality of life. The more it goes, the less you discover you require memory, mobility, continence etc.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Side track: Good lord, I just noticed you have a Wraeththu book in your LibraryThing. I thought I was the only one who read that trashiness and enjoyed it! *grins* I've only managed to find the first book of the History series - are the second two any good?

3:33 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Rian is a Secret Wraeththu Reader.

The second was fine. The third is AWFUL. Rian suspects twas written by an editor to finish the series.

Even so, would jesic like Rian to bring them to NY?

9:49 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Ooooh, that would be fantastic! Thank you so much. :D

I'm a complete sucker for anything Cal related.

3:29 AM  
Blogger Q said...

SPOILER! Aaaaaargh!

4:31 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Drat. Apologies.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

What spoiler? Where? You don't even read Wraeththu, I had to tell you how it ends!

3:12 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Ohhh, I feel stupid now. *whistles*

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home