Monday, October 02, 2006

More Monking

Last night Rian dreampt again about being a monk. I think perhaps it is because Rian is rereading The Sparrow series.

RianMonk sat on a low stone bench in the dry, square courtyard of a adobe-esque monastery. Rian was hot. I wore brown robes and they were rucked up about my knees in the hopes of catching a breeze, one supposes. The dirt around my bare feet was dry, dusty, and pebbly. I remember knowing that I was in the monestary garden, and that plotted in more squares behind me were herbs and cactus and succulants. I also remember knowing that if I wandered back inside it would be cool and damp smelling.

There were mountains in the distance, over the roof of the building. Oddly, they were snow capped.

RianMonk was carving something. Something from smooth wood, I think. The block rested in my palm and I held a rough knife between my fingers. I do not remember actually carving.

I do remember that I was lazy and content.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh.. those books are so good. i hope you enjoy them as much as i did. they made me _think_ more than most books do. :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Oh, yes. Rian thoroughly enjoys them. I have reread them many times.

Rian wants Mater to read them next.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Emano said...

Mater is amazed that Rian has such detail in her dreams-- or maybe I am amazed you can remember it. I remember my dreams along the lines of "It had something to do with David walking-- maybe his mother was there."

The Sparrow is on my list.

4:51 PM  
Blogger myo said...

The Sparrow as in the Maria Doria Russell sparrow book?

12:28 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Rian's dreams are generally more lifelike than Rian's Real Life.

And, yes, o Myo, ye are correct. The Sparrow and the companion piece: The Children of God.

Has Myo read them?

7:48 AM  
Blogger keppet said...

I read the first one. I don't remember liking it much though.

A remember something about hands being disfigured...

5:43 PM  
Blogger myo said...

I've read about the first third of The Sparrow.
Sigh. I felt like i was still reading the prologue.
I took a break from it ... and several years later, i still haven't got back to it.

Both the sparrow and the children are perched up on my bookshelves awaiting my return.
And i do intend to return to them at some stage based on the positive comments i've seen about the books.

Interesting to know i can add rian to the positive comments list.
But not kepp, obviously.

1:20 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Rian was a lazy Monk.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Emano said...

My library system doesn't have anything by Maria Doria Russell. The closest thing is a book by Maria Russell called "The Beer Makes It Better Cookbook." That's not an alternate title, is it?

5:39 PM  
Blogger myo said...

That's not an alternate title, is it?

I don't think even beer could make that poor monk better.

12:47 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Rian shall send it to ye, then, Mater.

7:08 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Stop that, child.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home