Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Worms

Last night Rian dreampt about worms.

One worm, rather. In Rian's dream it was labeled a 'leech', but it was not. Twas long and black and segemented, the size of a garter snake. And in the beginning Rian knew that it was dangerous, and tried to chase it from life, before it could injure Aidan or - odd - get into our food.

I stamped upon it, but could not break it. Then Rian put the slimy thing in a box, and drove it through town to a large shingled house surrounded by red roses. The cottage was full of people dining, but the door was locked. I pounded and pounded, whilst Aidan waited in the car, but no creature answered the door.

So I set the worm box on the grass, beside the roses, and dug a hole in the soil with my hands. The dirt was warm and wet, and came apart easily. But when Rian opened the box, with the intention of burying the worm, it sprung free and twined through Rian's hair.

It wanted to burrow into my ear, I knew this, and I was frightened. For myself and for Aidan, who still watched from his car seat. So I tore the 'leech' apart with my fingers and droped the segments into the hole. The bits were still squirming as Rian shakily scooped dirt over the grave.

I went to climb into the car, yes? But the vehicle was gone, and Aidan was digging in the dirt.

Terrified, I took his hand and began to walk home. The road curved and suddenly we were walking in Del Mar, truly walking Home, to my mother's house.

She greeted us at the door, and Rian felt safe. But there was a cat waiting on the back deck, and while Rian stroked the feline, it skinnied down into the black worm, whole, and speaking in my head.

I loved it, and needed it, the leech insisted. I would care for it and keep it safe and it wanted water because it was hot. And it wanted in. Into Rian.

It slithered up my hand and around my neck, a wet carress, and then into my nose. Rian was terrified and sick, but I knew it was correct. I loved it, and I would keep it safe. Inside.