Monday, September 05, 2005

Growing

Heartsister is turning Thirty tomorrow.

She is not pleased. In fact, she is weepy over the change. Rian spent much of the morning soothing through the telephone lines.

Thirty was not particularly hard for Rian. In fact, Twenty-Five was perhaps harder. Thirty-Five will make Rian shiver, but that is only because I will feel life wheezing away.

Heartsister's mother has taken, in the last weeks, to phoning her and telling her that she has nothing to show for her Thirty years. That she has shamed the family. She should have been a doctor, or a lawyer, a professor or a business creature. A mother of two and a part time Chef is apparently not enough.

I do not like her to be wounded so. Rian should like to build up walls and keep her safe. But how does one protect a child from her mother? Tis impossible. Especially amongst Complicated Love.

4 Comments:

Blogger H said...

31 was my one hard birthday. #0 not so much, I was so close to still being 29. 31 however... I was IN my thirties. 40 was not particularly hard. We will see on 50.

I think I have come to the conclusion that even when I am old and weak I may still feel childish on occasion and never truly grown up.

5:21 PM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

'Old and weak'. Pffft!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Emano said...

I was going to comment earlier, but I was too tired by my life force wheezing away. Now I can't remember what it was.

35 wasn't a big deal. I don't anticipate 40 being a big deal. It's not that I don't want to be close to 40, it's just that I can't believe I am close to 40.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

I can't really say much about getting old... *grin* Being a creature of a mere 20 years myself...

But.

Years are just a way of measuring. One more added to the tally doesn't change a person. Sure, you get older, but I think it's rather silly to be overly concerned about a number that is essentially meaningless.

*bows out*

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home