Thursday, November 10, 2005

Dizziness

Aidan has made a friend at school. So, in the way of all good parents, Rian hitched up courage and arranged for a play date. This can be a dangerous endevour first time out, especially when a child is three and a 'friend' is someone to toss Matchbox cars at.

But Rian rather enjoys this new child's mother. So we did the dance, yes, and set the time and Rian arranged to bring Aidan and his new friend home for an afternoon earlier this week. The evening before, his mother phoned.

She has MS. She has had, for seven years. But only in the last week has she felt any symptoms, going from perfeclty normal to numb and unable to walk. She is taking daily IV treatments for the first time since her diagnosis.

"Can I pick him up after my treatment?" She asked, sounding timid. "Can you keep him for two hours? I am SO sorry...But it would be so much easier than making him sit through the IV."

I think I have been shocked since that phone call. Not at the MS, but at the surprised desperation in her voice, surprise that I would take her child for a scant two hours and a desperate need to believe that Rian did not mind.

I did not, of course. It was a very small thing. And for once Rian knew exactly the corret, easeful things to say.



2 Comments:

Blogger Archie Furrows said...

Small things to you may be big things to others, Rian. I am glad you were able to help.

That form (relapsing remitting, I think) of MS can come and go seemingly at random. I hope her treatment helps.

My mother has been in a similar situation with MS, and she too was forunate to have a helpful friend to keep an eye on my brother and I for a while.

And Aiden and friend had another couple of hours to throw cars at each other, at least ;)

4:35 AM  
Blogger La Tulipe said...

Thank you, indylove.

Somehow you make Rian feel more at ease.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home