Thursday, December 15, 2005

Splinters

Sometimes Rian thinks that life is not, after all, a bowl of cherries but in truth a Wooden Ladyship's deck.

A rollercoaster ride, that, if we stick with cliches. And the wind beneath your sails.

But tis the rough wood that interests Rian. Sometimes tis enjoyable to run your hands over that weave and warp, but other times, many times - yip! - a splinter under the flesh.

A hurtful word or an irritating event or a frightening episode. Snag, poke, stab and there it lodges. Painful at first, and we may pick at it. Eventually, if we do not obliderate it with a nice sharp pair of tweezers, the splinter is mostly forgotten, left to callous or fester, depending. Yes?

Rian has a good sized forest of calloused splinters beneath my flesh. Things from childhood, youth, adulthood. I am not much of a festerer. Wounds are hidden and packed away, rarely thought of.

And yet they are still there, those small splinters of life. And they itch or twinge in Rian's dreams.

I grow tired of nightly pummeling by subcutaneous splinters.

2 Comments:

Blogger H said...

A magnifying glass, good cleansing agents, precise tweezers, patience and a steady hand, that's my favorite way to deal with such things. The pain lingers for a bit, then heals cleanly. Barring patience and a steady hand, one can use various other impliments, grit your teeth and gouge them out. pain lasts a bit longer, and their may be small scars, but still, better than burying.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

I think I'm with H on this one.

Having said that, I have had an invisble splinter in my thumb for almost a week. Somehow, I managed it at work. Ouch.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home